Storage isn’t always as simple as you think.
At first glance, data storage may seem straightforward. But when you consider combining different workloads in the same platform, quality of service concerns, latency requirements, and other critical factors, it’s not as simple as you might think. Our IDS Storage Assessment helps you determine the best storage strategy for your enterprise, using the latest, most efficient technologies. Storage can be simple, as long as you have the right strategy behind it.
Our IDS Storage Assessment helps you determine the best storage strategy for your enterprise, using the latest, most efficient technologies.
Five storage strategy considerations.
- Scale-up or scale-out? What does your capacity and performance growth rate look like? Will a scale-up or scale-out storage platform best suit your needs?
- Define your flash strategy. Where can flash be most effectively used in your environment? Does lowering latency unlock new capabilities for your data?
- Application needs. All applications behave differently in how they interact with your data. Is your storage environment aligned with your application requirements?
- Data tiers. Whether automated or manual, does your enterprise storage strategy involve multiple tiers of storage to ensure your data resides in the right place and the right time based on its lifecycle?
- Big data. Has your unstructured data grown to the size where traditional storage, backup, and replication technologies can’t effectively support it?
Your storage strategy should do more than store data.
Exponentially growing datasets make it increasingly difficult to create a storage strategy. A constantly evolving technology landscape doesn’t make it any easier either.
The IDS Storage Assessment uses a highly collaborative four-phase methodology designed to deliver the insight and strategic planning critical to helping you take advantage of the newest technologies in the most efficient and cost-effective manner, with the fewest disruptions.
- Baseline. Our process begins by examining your current storage platforms and determining configuration, performance, overall health, and risk identification.
- Risk mitigation. Identification of things such as old firmware levels, disk configurations that don’t follow best practices, incorrectly configured hot spares, or volumes reaching
capacity can all help mitigate risk that you may not realize is looming.
- Flash impact assessment. We’ll help you understand how flash can integrate in your existing platforms, or how a new storage strategy may leverage flash in a more effective manner.
- Data classification. Understanding the types of data you have is one of the most important aspects of creating a strategy. Determining things such as structured vs. unstructured, age of data, performance requirements, and growth rates will allow you to create a tiered approach for your storage.
- Best-of-breed technologies. IDS is constantly evaluating new technology partners and only works with best-of-breed solutions. Our product-agnostic analysis will help determine what the right technologies are for your use-cases.